Call of Duty Online
|You know the drill; go to station one and fix the Article. This article or a section of this article needs to be cleaned up to conform to a higher standard of article quality. Please take a look at the Manual of Style in order to refine this article. You may also discuss improvements on the talk page.|
Call of Duty Online
January 14, 2013 (Alpha & Closed Beta)
January 11, 2015 (Open Beta)
“Call of Duty Online will showcase the traditional features and play-modes of Call of Duty® with localized, unique content tailored to the needs and interest of gamers in China.” — Activision
Call of Duty Online (also known as CODOL, CODO and Call of Duty: Online) is a Call of Duty game released exclusively in China as a “free-to-play micro transaction game” published, marketed, and distributed by Tencent Games and fully developed by Activision Shanghai and Raven Software. The game was launched on January 14, 2013 in closed beta. The game features a new gaming model which gives the player the ability to personalize weapons, characters and equipment “with localized, unique content tailored to the needs and interest of gamers in China.”. The game also reuses dozens of maps, character models and weapons from both the Modern Warfare and Black Ops series, which can be seen in its trailers. Ghosts and Advanced Warfare contents have also been added. It can be seen as a mash-up of essentially all Call of Duty games from Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare to Call of Duty: Black Ops 3.
There is also a robotic PvE mode in Call of Duty Online called Cyborg Rising and Survival Mode from Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3. While the game is “exclusive” to China, it can be played in other countries with various methods, although no translations to other languages are available, making playing the game difficult, along with the drawback of playing on Chinese servers, where foreigners will have severely high ping and will have difficulty playing smoothly. It is also the second PC exclusive in the series; the other being the first Call of Duty released in 2003, making it even more difficult to access.
The game features a campaign mode in which the player controls Rook and has returning characters such as John Price, John “Soap” MacTavish and Simon “Ghost” Riley. The missions are derivations of multiplayer maps and singleplayer campaigns from the original Modern Warfare trilogy.
Survival Mode reappears from Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 with changes, including new enemy types.
Cyborg Rising (Dead Rising)[edit | edit source]
On November 30, 2013, Activision announced that Treyarch’s Zombies mode will come to Call of Duty Online. This returned as a game mode entitled “Cyborg Rising” The first map, Outpost, is a remake of Nacht der Untoten. The second map, Cyborg Lab, is a remake of Verrückt, and the third map, Ghost Swamp, the remake of Shi No Numa. The characters were Cowboy, Trigger, Sergeant, and Lv Bu.
In a later version, due to some complicated reasons, Raven Software simplified Cyborg Rising mode. Now, the four special characters and a few other features have been removed.
Cyborg Evacuation, or simply Evacuation, is a game mode featuring some remade multiplayer maps where the player has to find survivors and gather them at the evacuation point whilst being faced with multiple and varying difficulties of Cyborgs. This gamemode is available to play on medium, veteran and heroic. Each one has an increasing amount of survivors to be found. Once the player have escorted all of the survivors the player will then have to face a massive boss mother ship along with rapid amounts of Hellhounds, Cyborgs and Roarers with miniguns. Once done, the players will escape on a helicopter to end the game. Killstreaks and ammo supplies are also placed around the maps similar to the ones seen in the Survival Mode. Both ammo and killstreaks need pokers to be bought. The gamemode can be played with up to six other players.
Currently there are five maps available to play for Cyborg Evacuation, which are Night Quagmire, Farm, Ambush, Estate Tropical and Seatown, more will be added through updates.
There is a mode similar to Cyborg Evacuation in Call of Duty Online, which is named “evac” in game files, just same as Cyborg Evacuation, however it is called Death March and appears alongside Cyborg Evacuation in actual game. In Death March, players have to escort a BTR to save survivors, and at the end, players must kill a large boss to complete the game.
Currently three maps, Arsenal, Night Farm, and Suburb, are available in Death March.
There are various weapons in Call of Duty Online that have appeared in the Modern Warfare series. The weapons are able to be highly aesthetically customized, even in areas that haven’t been able to be customized before, such as stocks, magazines, and handguards. New weapons and attachments get added through updates, while a few have been removed for unknown reasons.
There is also an incredible array of weapon attachments available to customize a weapon. Attachments also get added through updates.
Main article: Customized Weapon
Camouflage also appears in Call of Duty Online. Please note that this list is incomplete; it will possibly continue to be in this state as information about the game in english is limited.
The multiplayer maps are a mix of maps from the Modern Warfare series and Call of Duty: Black Ops. New maps get added through updates as well. Most of the maps feature updated graphics and lighting changes from their previous games. However, some of the maps have drastic theme changes. Some of these maps have been removed as of version 188.8.131.52.
There is a vast amount of equipment to choose from in this Call of Duty.
Lethal[edit | edit source]
Tactical[edit | edit source]
Raven Software has done some reworks to the Perks. Perks are mixed with Perks from Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3, Call of Duty: Black Ops and Call of Duty: Black Ops II. Perk pro versions have been removed.
Perk 1[edit | edit source]
- Lightweight (轻装上阵) – Move faster. No falling damage.
- Flak Jacket (防爆服) – Decrease explosive damage.
- Medic (医疗兵) – Revive teammates faster and receive 25 AP for each revive in PvE mode.
- Blind Eye(侦测免疫; literally “Detect Immunity”) – Undetectable by enemy AI-controlled air support. Will not be targeted by enemy air support with 50% chance in PvE mode.
- Ghost (幽灵) – Undetectable by enemy UAV.
- Hardline (强硬路线) – Killstreaks require 1 less kill. Reward player 1 poker each round/wave in Survival and Cyborg Evacuation or 1 battery each round in Cyborg Rising.
- Gambler (Red) [贪婪(红); literally “Greed(Red)”] – Get two random red passive perks when spawn. (removed)
Perk 2[edit | edit source]
- Toughness (坚韧) – Flinch less when shot.
- Fast Hands (快手) – Swap weapons faster, use lethal and tactical equipment faster. Reset the fuse when throwing back frag grenades.
- Recon (侦察) – Damage paints targets on mini-map. Juggernaut and Cyborg boss are visible through walls in PvE modes.
- Hard Wired (电子克星; literally “Electronic Buster”) – Immune to Counter-UAV, EMP, Recon and Heartbeat Sensor.
- Cold-Blooded (冷血) – Immune to Thermal Scope and player-controlled scorestreaks. No red name when targeted by enemies.
- Scavenger (食腐鸟) – Replenish ammunition from dead bodies.
- Gambler (Green) [贪婪(绿); literally “Greed(Green)”] – Get two random green passive perks when spawn. (removed)
Perk 3[edit | edit source]
- Extreme Conditioning (极限马拉松; literally “Extreme Marathon”) – Unlimited sprint.
- Dexterity (敏捷) – Climb ladders and mantle objects faster. Aim faster after sprinting.
- Tactical Mask (防闪面具; literally “Anti-Flash Mask”) – Reduce the effects of Flashbangs and Stun Grenade. Immune to Nova Gas.
- Dead Silence (死寂) – Lower footstep sound. No skull-mark in enemy HUD when killed an enemy. Unable to be detected by Awareness.
- Engineer (工程兵) -Show deployed enemy equipment, delay explosives, re-roll and booby trap enemy care packages. Refilling ammo from ammo crate, reviving teammates and rebuilding barricades faster in PvE modes.
- Awareness (警觉) – Show enemy footsteps.
- Gambler (Blue) [贪婪(蓝); literally “Greed(Blue)”] – Get two random blue passive perks when spawn. (removed)
The factions playable in multiplayer are the same as those in previous Call of Duty games. Not much is known whether the factions are the exact same ones, these were taken from various in-game screenshots that included Domination flags.
Call of Duty Online also featured Deathstreaks. It used the same Deathstreaks from Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2. All deathstreaks are removed from the present version.
In the beta version (0.0.3.1.7) of Call of Duty Online, there are a multitude of killstreaks to select from. Most have been seen in Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 and Call of Duty: Black Ops but there are others that have been added in from other Call of Duty games.
Many killstreaks have been removed since the present version 184.108.40.206